Appreciate the people in your Life
I have been reflecting recently about my life and the people who are in it. I just want to acknowledge you all and tell you how much you all mean to me. You all know who you are. People come into your life when you least expect and some have been in your life since birth. We need to look at the people in our life and say thank you. I know that some of our relationships in life can be difficult. Some we are unable to forgive and some who have hurt us. We can also look at each relationship and see what it taught us. Not everybody in our life has to stay for the long term but each one of them came into our life for an important lesson or message. Your life will change when you see the world like that.
Here are some things I have reflected on or learnt
1. Family – Appreciate them and love them. They are the only one we have. We have all had our ups and downs with our families. We all have different views. Remember they did the best they could with what they knew. Love them for who they are and not what you expected them to be. My daughter Mia who is 10, wrote these lyrics to a song. ” My family, my family, they are so kind, they have always been there for me, we all have each other, we have our things, we are all different but we all love each other.” Simple but true.
2. Let go of expectations. We all have expectations. If we could substitute the word expectation for intention and let go of the outcome life would be so different.. I know it is a hard one but life would flow and many times you will be surprised what happens.
3. Love people for who they are and the things they bring into your life and the things you bring into their life. Relationships are 2 way streaks. Do not try to change them. If your values are not the same you discuss it and if they just don’t align then sometimes you just need to close doors.
4. Trust in God/universe. People come into our lives for a reason. When you let the universe do its job you will know why. When you resist you don’t let the flow happen. Stop controlling! Always remember God has a different better plan for your life. He knows what he is doing.
5. Take the time to tell the people in your life how much you love them and appreciate them. A long time ago when I was younger I heard a song called “In the Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics” In the song he says I wish I had told him in the living years. I live by that. I always tell the people in my life how much I love them and appreciate them and I hope that you start doing that too. You don’t need to wait until something happens.
6. Connect with the people in your life. You don’t need to see them everyday but you do need to say I am here in your own way. Social media and technology are a great way of doing that. That text that you send them could shift their day.
7. Friends and relationships are all unique. We may not agree with them and the way they are but we know that it is their life as they may not agree with our choices. Friendship is about accepting each other for our differences and not judging each other. Supporting each other and lifting each other up.
8. Love languages. Understand that we each speak a different love language. There are 5 according to the Book the 5 Love Languages: Words of Affirmation, Gifts, Physical touch, acts of Service and quality time. Learn the language they speak. I know that I need words of affirmation and quality time and love people to do acts of kindness. I give it in quality time and words but i have a friend who is about physical touch and being physically present. I didn’t know that until she told me. People don’t feel loved unless you understand their language and they yours. This is a very important.
9. We are all connected so let us connect and uplift each other.
10. Open yourself to new people and new cultures and new adventures. Appreciate the differences and similarities and learn from them. Open your heart! Love is abundant!
11. Do not take things personally! Everybody is struggling with their own internal issues. It is not about you! Communicate so you can understand why.
12. Show appreciation when someone invites you somewhere, buys you something, calls you or any other act of kindness A lot of us have taken people in our life for granted and been taken for granted. Look back and see how that has hurt. What is past is past! Let us look forward and do our best this time.
13. Live in appreciation of who you are, what you have and the people and little moments. The world will look so very different.
14. Perfectionism – Let go of that. Life is messy! So many people don’t take risks because they need it to be perfect. Jump and the perfect relationships for you will happen. Opening up and being vulnerable is the new perfectionism! You will win some and you will lose some. At least you tried.
15. Stop holding grudges. Say what you want to say and then let go. You will free your mind/heart for more positive amazing new things and people.
16. Keep positive uplifting people in your life! We all need a shoulder to cry on but we don’t always need a friend who drains us and only dwells there and does not try to change her/his life! Sometimes the best thing we can do for those relationships is to let go and wish them the best.
Have a great week ahead! I hope this has inspired you and given you some aha moments.
Don’t forget to enjoy the journey! It is not about the destination! It is about every step of the journey!