Winter Blues Really?
Hi everybody I have a confession to make! I suffer from winter blues! I did not know that winter blues existed until one day I was confessing to a friend that when the sun is out and the weather is nice I am so happy and energetic but when the weather is cold and gloomy I just don’t feel the same. I feel down! I push myself harder to go about my day. She said maybe you have the winter blues. I thought really! I started looking it up and yes it exists and it is called (SAD) Seasonal Affective disorder, winter depression or winter blues.
This is how wikipedia describes it “A seasonal depression is a mood disorder subset in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year exhibit depressive symptoms at the same time each year. Most commonly in the winter.
I started to look back at my history and the countries that I have lived. Before coming to Canada I lived in Dubai and I had sun all year round for 15 years and I remember feeling so happy. When I lived in Lebanon and saw the sea and sun i felt happiness and when winter would hit I would not feel well. Wow!
So do you suffer like I do? I am trying not to let is get to me though and have found some tools to help me through this. We are still in November and it is just the beginning!
Here are the tools I use to get me through this. I hope they help you too and I would love to hear other tools you use.
- I bought a light therapy box (above in the photo) from Costco. I am actually using it now as I write this article. The light box gives you light and energy.
- Meet up with friends and family. Get out of the house and do something you enjoy. Shift the focus off the cold.
- Get out in nature! If you are someone who loves winter sports then that is great. I am not a winter sport person so I will stick to my walk in the park.
- Eat healthy and stock up on the vitamins. I take my vitamin C and will be at the pharmacy later today buying my Vitamin D.
- Buy blankets. Nothing better than getting under the covers drinking hot chocolate and watching a movie (not daily only on your days off). Helps for warmth if you have a partner or if you don’t one of your kids or both!!
- Aromatherapy – I have my diffuser lamp on and have oils that make me feel better. I use the oils that feel right to me that day!
- Himalayan lamps also help. Some of the benefits are they cleanse the air, reduce allergies, ease coughs, increase energy levels and help you sleep and they help treat seasonal affective disorder!
- Lighting candles helps me! I love the light of a candle.
- If it is severe you need to go see your doctor or your pharmacist and they can guide you!
- Surround yourself with things that make you happy and focus on that.
- Take your vacation in winter!
- Time to reflect on what you want in life. Time to create your vision board. Join me on 30 November at my workshop https://www.facebook.com/events/1241346036011247/
- Most important enjoy the journey – Don’t let the blues keep you down. Face it, own it and then push forward!
Till next time! Have a great one people!